Friday 9 May 2014

Existential Inquiries*

I was feeling rather vague and utterly meaningless while Vishnu stood smoking, bringing out rings of smoke through his mouth. My solemn cigarette consumed smoke and gave out the same. I abstained from listening to the ugly din of the traffic behind, and the monotonous hum of the hospital in front beyond the fence, separating the parking lot from the hospital portico. 
                                 Vishnu started saying something about the ' glare of the moon' last night, which made him tip and fall and kinda dislocate his shoulder of sorts and then he turned his gaze towards the hospital and i knew he was eyeing the girl visible through the hospital windows, dancing, laughing, singing, going crazy. 
                              Abortion. Leukaemia. Meningitis. Psychosis. Mania. Cancer. Tumour. I wasn`t feeling a lot well. 
                            - "We`ve to nail one of `em yo" said he with a glint in his eyes. I stood numb. The traffic creating a roar behind me and the girls peeping through the hospital windows were not even visible properly and I was amazed that they could live so happily there. Singing, laughing, dancing, pretending happiness in a void which they occupied. 
                            - "Damn man...one with that hollow-open-mouthed laugh looks kinda amazing, no?"
His 'no' caught my attention and I looked at him. He was holding the burnt-out-butt in one hand and his dislocated shoulder was cradled in a cotton sling. 
                            - "I don`t know,V, they all look quiet retarded to me, or why else would they be chirping the night there?"
Vishnu looked at me with a surprise in his eyes and said with a serious face, 
                           - "Whats wrong witchu nigga?! A pussy is a pussy yo! No matter how chirpy or retarded. Now tell me, you game?"

                           - " You mean, play ball?"


                            - "Haha, yeah exactly!"

Suddenly I turned back to the sound of screeching tyres and saw a huge but sleek Jaguar come to a halt just behind us. The door opened and from the drying seat, out stepped Shiva. 
                   Shiva, man of the moment, pure intention juxtaposed with harsh aptness, dressed in motley colours and heavy boots, looked nothing less than a horse-riding-gun-wielding cowboy. Although I couldn't see it, I was sure, he had a gun tucked somewhere in his person. He didn't like taking chances with retards and people in general. 
                                 - " How is it going Brahma? Vishnu? waiting to score? huh?"

                                 - "No man, we are here, Maya has gone to the gynecologist inside there." I said pointing to the left wing of the hospital.


                                  - "YOU GOT HER HERE!!!! After all that talk about the inefficacy of Government Hospitals, the absense of hygine..."


                                    - "Listen Yo..."


                                    - "...you know the torture..."

                                     
                                    - "...yo..yo..."

                                    - "...and the doctors?!"


                                    -" We went in along with her Shiva. Chill now."


                                    -"One of these days, I`m gonna nab all these fuckers in the butt!" Shiva said stressing on 'butt' and two invisible horns seemed to emerge from his bald head. Vishnu threw the butt away and looked uneasily at Shiva. 


                                   -" The gynecologist was a...."     


                                                                 A loud sustained honk of a huge LAYLAND Carrier and then a train pulling in into the station a few hundred meters away from the VAMINAS GOVERNMENTLY OWNED PRIVATE CLINIC, Hospital, made my voice inaudible. 


                                   -"...again."   I finished as the raucous died down and I saw Maya coming out of the hospital.


                                  -"I think we are good to go, yo!"


                                  -" But where, you partially functional system?"

                                     
Maya came down the steps, her dark hair flowing back towards the hospital like connecting wires, like umbilical cords. The half moons under her eyes were prominently visible and the mascara was conspicuous by its absence. She looked beautiful. She descended. She hadn`t seen us. She was caring a hospital-white package.  
                                     Vishnu was trying to move his dislocated shoulder and gave out silent screams of pain, which Shiva and I saw but did not hear. Shiva juggled the car keys in his pocket. 

                                -" FUCK YOU MAN! I ain`t partially functional! I say you are totally useless, even defunct! I was lying on the beach, glared out by the moon, I was screaming with pain and you, you just kept jogging! You miserable act of fuck! WHY did you not lift me up? give a helping hand? WHY the fuck Shiv, are you so distant"?

                           She had dumped the package in a dustbin at the foot of the steps and was waiting for us in front of the hospital. I looked at them both and again felt vague, meaningless and even tired as I moved towards the absurdly parked Jaguar. 

                                 -" You know V, you are no good, at anything. Your acting and juggling and pranking has had a toll on me and the only reason I didn't stop to help you was that I thought you were making love to the beach sand, and you KNOW you CAN do that."


                                  -" You. fuck. You."


The engine started and the car came to life. Ticking of the Amygdala came through its surround sound speaker system. Vishnu sat in the front seat and both of them kept cursing and high five-ing  each other and we stopped in front of Maya. 

                 She looked on the verge of something, a possible explosion, a release, but she held back her tears and there wasn't any other release left for her. 

                                    -" Your morning creation is in that trash can over there, V, you can collect it anytime you want and its free of copyright." she said in a voice quivering with hearted and malice. 

                                                       She lay her head on my shoulder and soon drifted off to sleep. Amygdala  kept ticking in the car. Shiva and Vishnu did not say anything and I felt my shoulder get soggy. 

                                    -"Poor Maya. Poor, poor Maya."


I thought. 



*All characters in this story are taken from the mythology of India




No comments:

Post a Comment